Saturday, May 10, 2008

seeing the good

Seeing the good is all about noticing the good things during a time of difficulty. It is also about noticing the beautiful and wonderful gifts of God during normal or mundane times. It is about getting off of auto pilot. I is about waking up to the good and the glory that God has placed in his world. Today I contrast a bit of recent bad with the accompanying good.

bad vs good

I was in tremendous pain but it caused me to seek a doctor.
My wife was out of town but friends and strangers took care of me.
I was in pain but they finally gave me drugs.
I was in strange places, but I got to meet new friends.
I was worried, but I received a clear diagnosis.
I needed surgery, but we found a surgeon.
They couldn't do the surgery laproscopically, but they were able to complete the task successfully.
I could not eat, but they fed me through I.V.s
A woman is digging in my arm for a vein, but I have a chance to be patient and caring.
The nurses change shifts, but each new group is wonderful.
It is painful when your systems won't work, but they are getting better each day.
I am wounded, but each day is better.
I am in the hospital, but I am getting better.
I will have a big scar, but I will be better than before.
I am discouraged, but my faith in God brings me hope.
I am restricted from many things, but it is all so that I will heal.
I am posting late today because last night I slept like a baby.

Evey time we see something bad, there is also something good happening right around us. To train ourselves to see the good is one of the most holy, godly things that a person can do. When we get off of our own problems and look to see the awesome things of life, then we are doing God's work. What bad things are happening in your life? Where is the good? Can you see it? Have you looked? It is there.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I like and respect many of your characteristics, Jeff, but your ability to see the good and to share it with us is my favorite!

I miss you.