Sunday, May 11, 2008

to think of others

To think of others, or to think of myself. Yesterday, I passed a threshold. For the first day since I fell ill, there were moments when I was not thinking of myself. I have been thinking of myself because of the constant pain and soreness. I don't mean that I only thought of myself during that time, but I mean that "I" was on my mind constantly. Sorry, but I could not help but think of myself. My situation brought a difficulty that was always in the forefront.

Yesterday, I had a few moments, [and there will be more of them today and tomorrow] where I forgot about my pain. Things are getting better.

When we are healthy, when things are well, we don't have to think of ourselves. When we are sick or broken, our own issues keep cropping up. I don't like constantly thinking of myself. I am looking forward to more healthy days when I can get back to not worrying about me.

Our self is our natural paradigm. Our own way of looking at the world is all that we know. Self-preservation comes naturally to humans, but the Christian faith calls us to live outside of, and beyond ourselves.

Every chance that we have to help another, to think about another, we should. Every opportunity to do good in the name of Jesus Christ, we should. There will always be opportunities for the self to be on top, but let us train ourselves to live beyond ourselves, that we might be of use in the service of Christ.

As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men. Gal. 6:10

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: