Thursday, May 22, 2008

When pastors move

When I entered the ministry, you could count on moving every four years. Since then, things have changed. The Bishops have adopted a philosophy that goes like this: if you are happy and the church is happy, then they do their best to leave you where you are at.

I am so thankful that our church appears to be happy with me. I sure am happy and fulfilled at Woods Chapel. Just in case you wondered, I am not moving. That is not what this post is about.

Every year, some of my friends move, and some of them leave the ministry. From my ordination class of 12, I only know of two others that are still in the ministry. Some moves are happy. They are good for the pastor and good for the churches. Other moves are sad to me. They follow a prolonged period of suffering on the part of the pastor and or the church. I heard about a couple of these yesterday. It is sad when people that you care about are hurting.

Please pray for pastors and churches that are experiencing appointment changes this year.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: