Tuesday, July 29, 2008

bad attitude

I have one hanging around right now. I am working on having it go away.

Bad attitudes show up for any number of reasons. Something happened that we do not like. It is too hot. The car broke down. Someone was rude. Whatever.

I believe that you should do whatever you can to fix things, but sometimes there is nothing that you can do. Things are, just what they are, and they are not going to change.

In such cases, the problem is obvious. The problem is me. I cannot allow myself to be dominated by something that my friend did. I have got to find release from always thinking about the upsetting thing. My Mom used to say,, "no one makes you mad, you choose to be mad."

Anger is a blocker. When you are upset, you don't think straight, you don't see anything correctly. The wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God. We cannot be who we ought to be when we are consumed by bad feelings.

So I tell myself:
"Jeff, you can't do anything about this. This is not you. You are not defined by this unhappiness. Don't let this little unhappy rob you of this day. This is a good day. This is the day that the Lord has made. See the good."

I tell myself this over and over, and it works. I feel better already.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am struggling with this myself today. Paul says don't let the sun go down on your anger. We are supposed to forgive and move on for our own benefit. There was a sermon on forgiveness not too long ago. I forgave who I thought I should at the time but then didn't keep that going as a regular practice. (Is this also a spiritual discipline?) We are supposed to forgive within 24 hours so that we don't become bitter. I have become bitter. I will be spending some serious time in prayer today asking God to not only forgive the person who has hurt me but to forgive me for hurting myself.

Anonymous said...

Old adage:
He who angers you, controls you. Anon.
As long as you are upset, angry or mad, you miss out on all the good stuff. Let it go and get on with what is loving, generous, compassionate, beautiful, faithful and blessed.
BuonaCuoca

Jeremy V. said...

Hey Jeff, Hope the leave is going well. Sounds like you have had a good time...with the exception of this post. Hope all is well and let's do lunch when you are available. Thanks for the great discussions and topics on your blog.