Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dear Pastor Friend, part 2

Pick up this thread from Wednesday, July 16th.

Dear Pastor Friend,
You have used one of my favorite words to describe me. "Fortunate." You are correct. I tell people that I am the most fortunate pastor that they know. I tell them this because there are great people at our church. They are kind and generous and happy. They are serious about making a difference in the world. They are striving to be better parents, spouses and friends. When they talk about Jesus, many of them cry. They are filled with dreams and passion for life and the church. You are correct. I am the most fortunate pastor.

I may be wrong, and this may be a bit naive, but I have always believed that there are good people in every congregation. I have an idea for you to try. Do a three part sermon series on relationships. I would use these topics.
1. when human relationships are good
2. when human relationships are hard
3. Having a relationship with God.

In fact, I like this idea so much, I may just try it at Woods Chapel.

In week one, tell them about good relationships that you have had. Tell them about those dear moments in your life. Celebrate the times when relationships are good. I think that they will notice if all of your stories are of other places. David and Johnathan come to my mind.

In week two, tell them about your hurts. Tell them about times when relationships drifted away. This is an opportunity to be vulnerable and share some of your personal hurts and loneliness. Believe me, the people in the pew can relate to hurt and loneliness. Encourage them to seek out friends and be a friend. I think that some of your folks will draw close when they see your struggle. If they don't, then another appointment may be in order. Jacob and Esau come to mind.

Week 3, tell them about how a relationship with God can change their life. That we were not created to live for ourselves. I am excited about this, just thinking about it. I think our folks would like a series like this. One of the things that I have learned over the years, is that if I am feeling it, or concerned about it, people in the pew usually are too.

I want to again extend the opportunity for us to visit in person. I wonder if we have done this in the past and I didn't keep the relationship up. If so, I am sorry. Let's try again. Call me.

Whatever you do, do not quit. Where discouragement abounds, grace all the more abounds. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. There really is hope for a better time. I so much want to be of help if I can.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Jeffs Pastor Friend,
I am sure there are many of us at WC who are keeping you in our prayers. One of the reasons Jeff has the relationships he does is because he never hides the fact he is human. He has real, human emtions and reactions - even ugly ones, and for this we can connect to him, respect him and love him. You are expressing and living something real and people will respond and love you for it. Go be real, go be honest...even if it envolves some not-so-nice conversations with God. I am sure you will feel the love and grace of not only God, but your congregation.

Anonymous said...

Gee that is exactly what I need. I had no idea I was to be real and I thought I could be cheap and artificial. Apparently you don't have any idea what it is like to lead a church. Jeff was somewhat different in his beginning days at WCC. Have you ever been a stranger in a room of people? I lead a life as an open book, probably too open. This is a perfect example of why it is difficult with people like "comment one."

Sorry for the intrusion, I won't be back.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Friend,

no one meant to hurt your feelings.

Anonymous said...

Hurt feelings, feeling alone, feeling lost. We've probably all felt this way at sometime in our life, maybe several times. Jesus took on human form and came to live and die among us to help people feeling just this way..to offer eternal life and joy when we go back to our spiritual existance and once again are all together. Jesus didn't come to save the rich and famous..he came to give hope, peace, joy and grace to the weary, the weak, the sorrowfull and the sick...to all mankind. Time in our human existance seems to take forever when we are sad, and lonely or depressed. But in God's time , with our prayer the pain does pass.
OUr church has many wonderful people who have volenteered as Stephens Ministers who are there merely to listen and who care deeply. Woods Chapel is full of people who would give the shirt off their back. I have no idea the problem, I only hope that folks don't give up on the Church, the churches mission , and the folks a chance who want to help, to help.
People praying for you is so powerful. The other day I was talking to Clay and he prayed for me over the phone. I felt intensely close to God and know his presence was with me. I think of Saul and his life before his site was taken..and his life after it was returned. So many things,.. I hate to see someone hurting and I wish I had the perfect words.
Father please help heal those in need. Please give us the words and the deeds to help those who quietly suffer and feel alone.
Help them to know you are with them and you are their salvation.
In Jesus name I pray.
Amen