Wednesday, July 9, 2008

a truly kind act

Yesterday, a nice couple from church came over to the house and planted some flowers. Blue Salvia and Periwinkle. They did not do this because I am sick, old or infirmed. They did this simply because they know that I love flowers and things that grow.

They insisted that I not help with the planting. They wanted to do this for me.

Now I have got to tell you, this is a very funny feeling. Someone is doing something nice for me, and I don't deserve it. I am helpless, just there to standby and watch as they pull some weeds and replace them with the flowers. I could have done this for myself, but someone else was doing it for me. It is the strangest feeling. We are so used to helping others. We have been taught to give ourselves away. Grace is often easier to give to another, than to receive for one's self.

Grace. When the yard of your soul was full of weeds, Jesus stopped by to help. What he did, he did alone. For you. You watch it all happen and you cannot believe that someone loves you that much. That is grace. The free gift of God, given with out reservation to each of us through Jesus Christ.

I hope someone plants flowers for you in your yard today. But if they don't, remember that God has planted a cross in your yard. Take some time to consider the meaning of this selfless act.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear pastor,
It was our great pleasure to add a little more beauty to gaze upon out your office window. You are continually giving and giving again of yourself for so many. Is it any wonder we would want to return the favor?

May the flowers we planted yesterday bloom, grow and flourish just as many souls have done as a result of your countless kindnesses. We thank you. WCC thanks you.

Bless you, dear friend, and enjoy!!!!