Wednesday, July 23, 2008

you can't fix everything

Don't you know its true. You just can't fix everything. You can't make everyone happy. You can do your best and you can act with pure intentions, but there are still going to be times when you just can't fix it.

One of the books that I digested in this last month talked about how leaders don't always know where to go, but they have clues. And sometimes, leading means following those clues and just putting one hopeful foot in front of the other.

Last week I played in a softball game. There was a man on third with one out. I am coming up to bat. If I get any kind of a hit, even a fly ball to the outfield, the man on third will score and we will win the game. It is a very tense moment. I hated moments like this when I was in little league, but I have learned as I have grown older, that these are moments that make you truly alive.

I come to the plate and I am not thinking of the pressure. I am thinking of the Gene Hackman quote from the movie "the replacements." "Winners always want the ball when the game is on the line." So, I am glad to come up to the plate. Lets go. I am going to give it my best.

In a very strange twist, I hit a ball that manages to get me out at first base and the runner on third out at home. The inning was over, the game went into extra innings and we lost. I felt badly, but what are you going to do? Good news is that it was only a softball game.

The moral of that story, and going back to the original thought is this: I did the best that I could. It did not turn out well, but I stepped into the box and took my swings. Sometimes that is all that you can do.

You can't fix everything or everyone. Step in, do your best, no one can ask for more than that. Don't lose heart over yesterday's heartaches, tomorrow is coming and we will have other chances at the plate. Just keep doing your best.

It is another beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this message - the analogy was in perfect timing today.

Jeff said...

I was at that game, coaching first. It was a solid hit. The man at bat ran as fast as he could. The man on third tried to score, and the call was close.

Good one. The point is you need to swing to hit the ball. You might miss the ball. You might get an out. You might hit into a double play.

How would you like to be the ump? The ump always upsets someone. Someone is always out. Someone is always safe. Someone wins. Someone loses. That's life. Take a swing. You never know, you may just hit one out of the park some day.