Wednesday, July 2, 2008

when your friends don't believe

On June 24th I posted some thoughts on winning people to Jesus Christ. Anonymous commented as follows:

"This has been a hot topic in our household. We have friends who are not Christians and have actually said negative things about us "giving in to organized religion". I have tried to describe to them how awesome our church is and how we are a church of grace and how the church is involved in the community and incredible mission work. It doesn't seem to matter. They are a family in such need of a church like ours, but they refuse to listen or consider it an option. Where do we go from here? We continue to pray for them, but each time we see them they are always struggling. Their negativity is almost unbearable."

First of all, I am fine with all of you commenting anonymously. I would probably do the same. I trust that since this comment was offered up for all on 6-24, it is ok for me to share it again and comment on it, because the pain of this story has been on my heart.

First let me say that I am glad that you have non-Christian friends. If Christians only hang around with other Christians, we will never win anyone to Jesus.

As I consider your comment, I feel your pain. I think most of us have had friends, people that we loved, that did not love the church and did not understand our commitment to it. 80% of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Half of them claim to attend church. What of the other half? They are usually down on "organized religion." Often these folks feel this way because they have been hurt by a church, a staff member, or a well meaning Christian that just drove them crazy.

The moral of the story is this. Churches need to stop hurting people. Staff people need to stop hurting people [I don’t think our staff hurts people.] Most of all, well meaning, judgemental Christians need to stop hurting people. I wonder what Jesus will say to judgemental Christians as they stand in front of the pearly gates………….”Welcome Friend, You would have brought many with you to heaven, but you hurt them too badly. I now give to you, what you were unable to give to them in life........ Grace....... Enter into the joy of the lord.”

Let me offer some suggestions to you about how to best reach your neighbors. Accept them. Love them. Model the love of God for them. Let them see that there is something real in your life and in your home. Wait for them to bring it up. They have been hurt too badly for you to work on them right now. When they are ready to talk, be positive. Tell them that you are sorry if the church has hurt them in the past. Tell them that at our church we really try to focus on the joy, the good, the grace, and the spiritual part of following Jesus Christ.

Offer to them, that I would be glad to visit with them, in your home, at their convenience, anytime.

Just give them love, and give them space. The very things that the church should have given them in the first place, they need now, more than ever.

It is a beautiful day in God’s world. Be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's in our hearts and our brains and our beliefs does not always show in our actions . . . thank you for reminding us how important it is to do and be what we believe.