Thursday, July 10, 2008

Daneel Gurrola

When I was at the pastor's camp in California, along Wurr Road there is a memorial set up for Daneel Gurrola. She was a young woman who died, I believe in her 30's, I am embarrassed to say that I did not write down her birthdate, only her name and the day she died, June 6th, 2005. There was a bench, a headstone, flowers, ornaments and birthday cards.

Three years after the fact, those who love her still keep watch and tend to this solitary memorial along side a quiet mountain road. Such ongoing care speaks to the dedication of her friends and family, and to the special nature of the young woman.

There is very little information that I could find on the internet about the woman. A grief note posted this brief comment.

"In Loving Memory of Daneel Ann Gurrola
Time was not enough for us but your love will last a lifetime. I will always cherish your love, friendship and your selflessness. You were and will always be my love."



I am tempted to comment on the brevity of life. I think of this often. However, something else strikes me about this story. The love that is on display at this memorial reaches out and grabs you. This memorial is in a small meadow next to the road. Someone cut steps into the dirt embankment with a shovel so that you can get up there to remember her.

So here is my point. The people around us are very precious. Cathy, Alli, Jenny, Scott and all of you readers. You are very precious. We should never take those around us for granted. We should be kind to them. Let's show them our love and appreciation every day that we can. Soon enough, there will be grave stones to visit. Say a kind word today. Hug a neck. The people around you are God's gifts to you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

chigger farmer said...

This moved me ~ a beautiful reminder to cherish.

I also want to say that although my comments may be few; I get so much out of reading this every day and love the thought provoking comments.

Enjoy your new garden bloomers!

Anonymous said...

The last few entries kind of fit together...yes, that merry-go-round needs a rest, yes, many good intentions to do kind things are not done due to being too 'busy', yes, we should show those around us that we appreciate them - and sometimes we are too 'busy'...

"For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel: In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength." Isaiah 30:15

Anonymous said...

This is so touching and Daneel will always be in our thoughts and fond memories. Such a caring and awesome person with so much love. She is missed so much.