Thursday, October 9, 2008

little hurts, big hurts

Little hurts come and go.
You said my dog was ugly.
I had a flat tire.
I had three flat tires.
You insulted me in some way.

Sometimes we make mountains out of molehills. We treat little hurts as though they were big hurts. Then when we see a big hurt, we usually realize how foolish we were to be that upset about the little things. The reminder to "see the good" usually helps me get to the other side of little hurts.

What about the big hurts. A friend or loved one dies. Your child is in trouble. Your marriage is on the skids. Those things that come along that cut to the core. They keep you awake at night. You wake up and you are crying. Hugs are nice, the passing of time helps, but where is the ointment for big hurts?

I am about half way through the book, "the shack." The shack is a place where God finds you at your greatest point of need. I know this is the answer. I have to find my shack. I have to spend more time there than usual. I have to wake up there in the middle of the night. Big hurts need a big God. We have to let him keep holding us. In his presence, I see more clearly....... and it is a beautiful day. If you are hurting today, find your shack. God is there. He will take us to the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the late comment - just back in town, and I'm trying to catch up on everything - including your blog!

I had to smile when I read this one...I had not one, but TWO flat tires in Galveston in one week. As careful as I was while driving the Red Cross truck, there was just too much debris. Boy, was I mad after the 2nd one...it was ruining my day. And then...the people of Galveston wrapped their arms around me (literally!) and showed me how truly blessed I am...I have a car that ISN'T flooded...I have a home that WASN'T under 14 feet of water...and God is good. The people of Galveston have been knocked down...but God is holding them up and they're going to be just fine. And my tires were fixed...and life is good. Glad to be home...and glad to read your blogs. Keep it up!