Thursday, October 30, 2008

Premonitions

Premonitions. When you have a feeling that something is going to happen. A foretelling. You know something k-n-o-w something before it happens.

Last Friday and Saturday I made a short trip to Springfield. [I don't mean that I found a short cut to Springfield, it is still 160 miles. What I mean is that I drove there and went to a meeting and returned, all within 24 hours. It was a short trip.] Before I left, I had a strong feeling that I was going to be involved in a car wreck and die on the trip. For a moment, I thought about calling to cancel.

I decided to go on the trip. I drove carefully. My "premonition" was wrong. I think if your premonition is wrong, then it is not really not a real premonition.

This is not the first time that I have felt this way. I have had many times where I was suddenly thinking about my own demise. I have finally decided why those feelings show up. Ready? It is because I am having so much fun in life. Now, I don't mean that I don't have any problems, I do. And don't think for a minute that being a pastor doesn't have it's painful moments. But, all in all, like John Denver said, "it's been a good life all in all." Actually, it has been an awesome life!

I am blessed with more kind hearted people than I can keep track of. I have won the friend lottery. I have won the wife lottery. She is a good one! My kids are super.

Maybe this is the best thing.... as I am growing older, I can feel the good things of God growing inside of me. I have learned so much in the last few years about joy, peace, grace and judgement. I am having a blast. I hope it doesn't end soon.

With that thought in mind, this is the day that the Lord has made. We have one shot at today. Let's go out and find somebody to care about.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am more aware of my mortality than ever before...and I suspect that the years to come will continue to bring the brevity of life even more to the forefront.

Dobson once said, "Live long enough and life will trash your trophies."

Not trying to morbid, but you, my friend, are investing in a life that will continue to bless you in eternity.

A couple of weeks ago you stood in the front of the church with your arms around "Jesus." The longer that hug lasted, the more I was moved as I observed. God's Spirit moved in our hearts during those moments...without another word spoken.

Such attention from Him calls for a response...even better, inspires a response.

I bless the Lord for who He is through you.

Your friend