Friday, October 17, 2008

The Shack

Someone asked me to read the book, The Shack. It was such a blessing to them. Well, simply out of respect for them, I ordered a copy. I read half of it a few weeks ago, and finished it off Wednesday night, last night, and this morning about 4:30am. I was so excited to read the end of it that I had trouble sleeping. I finally gave in to the whirring of my brain thinking about the book, rolled out of bed and finished it.

The first part of the book is good, but painful. Difficult story that draws you in. The middle is good, but it has some slow spots. The ending, the last few chapters is a grand slam. Of course, being a novel, you have to read the entire book to get the effect. And if you get the book, wade through it all. The middle is very important.

A paragraph in the back of the book says, "this book deserves a reading across the broadest reaches of our culture. Not only is this a compelling and provocative story, but it has a literary quality to it that distinguishes it as a special gift. It offers one of the most poignant views of God and how he relates to humanity that has been written in our time. It will not only encourage those who already know him but also engage those who have not yet recognized his work in their lives."

The Shack, by William Young. www.theshackbook.com

If you are looking for a thought provoking read, this book made me cry and spoke to me in ways that I am still thinking about.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finished last night as well. What a great read! Talk about stirring the imagination! This one might be worth reading several times.

Shout out to the Mpact speaker who turned me on to it!!!

GB