Tuesday, October 7, 2008

peace and quiet

Last night I was driving home from the hospital. The radio was on when I started the car. I soon became tired of the topic of conversation on the station, and the tone of the discussion. I changed to another preset. In my first car, when you changed the station, you could watch the red indicator slide along the AM dial. Now it all happens electronically. It is all so fast. There are so many buttons.

One station after the next. They were all talking about the same stuff. My brain is sore and my heart is numb. What happened next was nothing short of miraculous.

I turned the radio off.

The car suddenly became filled with the purr of the motor and the quiet of the night. I felt the presence of God. Peace and quiet. How about that. He is still there waiting for us to pay attention.

Turn the radio off, get in touch with God.

The world of men and women may be hurried and confused, but it's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little over a year ago I decided to drive with the radio off. For me this was a major change as I really like to listen to music. I like a wide variety and it speaks to me. So driving with no music was huge. I decided that I had so little quiet time to actually listen to God that it seemed this would be the simplest solution. At first it was just in the mornings on my way to work, now it's whenever I'm in the car alone. I still don't always listen, but I do have far better conversations with Him now than I've had in the past. Listening is a skill I'm still working on. The quiet has helped in other ways also, so I don't think I'll be giving it up anytime soon.
Tonia

Anonymous said...

After leaving a comment about distraction yesterday, I started thinking about the places and times when I've sensed God's voice the most clearly. Driving in the car with the radio off. Writing. An undistracted conversation with someone I love. During Woods Chapel services. So I wonder if other people can think of the times God’s channel is picking up the best signal; and then just allow that to happen MORE OFTEN.

Maybe another definition of simplicity is a lifestyle that allows us to just BE with God more than anything else.