Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dear Bird,

Dear Bird,

I am so sorry about what happened yesterday. I saw you in the road. I figured that you would move. You did, but just not fast enough.

I have often wondered why you guys hang out in the road. There was nothing there to eat and there did not seem to be any reason for you to be there. I have always been surprised at the ability of your cousins to get out of the way of my car at the last minute. You were not so lucky. Maybe you were sick, maybe you were day dreaming. At any rate, today you are singing in the heavenly choir.

That is how I will look at it. Not that I snuffed you out, but that I was an unwilling participant, an accidental participant in your being promoted to the heavenly choir.

At any rate, I am sorry for the bonk on the head and the brief moments of pain. I am sure it was quick, as my car out weighs you by a few tons. Please warn your friends and relatives to be careful about lighting in the roadway for extended periods of time. I wish you well, and again, I am sorry.

Sincerely,
Jeff Brinkman, accidental bird crusher

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

You are too funny!

Anonymous said...

My mom always said that the birds have the entire sky to fly in! So, don't feel bad when they are out of their yard!!

radgrad said...

I did the same thing the other day--I was sure that bird would move right up until the last minute. Now the kids point out the spot where "Mom murdered the bird" every time we pass it. Every time.

mhaskamp said...

Isn't it ironic that in the blog the day before you were talking about how God "sees when a sparrow falls"? Maybe that was a bit of forshadowing... :-)