Saturday, May 23, 2009

leaving the world a better place

I think that we all want to leave the world a better place. JB left a comment for the blog and intimated that there was no need to post it, so I didn't, but in the comment she talked about the pride and love that I have for Scott. As I read it, I thought of another word, admiration. I admire all three of my kids. Somehow, they have turned out to be better people than I was at their age. And with a better start on life, who knows where they will be then they are 51?

Isn't that the goal? One of the ways that we make the world a better place is to help our kids, our nephews and nieces, our neighbor kids, to become better people than we were. Once I was lamenting some of what my parents did. Then it occurred to me that they left behind kids that were better. Better in the sense that we all have college degrees, have our feet on the ground, and are gainfully employed. They gave us a better life than they had themselves. That makes them pretty good people.

Everytime that we help another, we leave the world a better place. One day at a time, one interaction at a time, we help others become more than they would otherwise have been. What a great privilege it is to be used by God to help another. If we are not doing that, we are missing one of the main purposes of life.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: