Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy Mothers Day to all of you wonderful ladies and friends. God bless you for all that you have done for your biological children and for all of your other children.

I got out my mother's Bible this week. Mom went to be with Jesus on July 17th 1995. I don't think I have opened her Bible since the funeral, but I just had a feeling that there might be something there that would be what I needed. Among the many quotes, I found this:

"In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." - Aeschylus

I had never heard this quote before. My mom knew it, but never shared it with me. I find it to be very profound. You may not need my explanation of the quote, but here goes:

At night, I lay my head on the pillow. All of my worries cause me pain which will not go away. I cannot sleep for the pain drips on my heart one drop at a time and I am filled with despair. Finally God acts. Against my will, [because part of me wants to get even, part of me wants to hurt back] against my will, God's wisdom comes to me through his awful grace. It is awful because it causes us to be able to forgive the unforgivable and to overcome evil with good. A bitter pill, but a good one when finally swallowed.

Thank you Mom for sharing. I think about the struggles that you faced that caused you to hold that quote in your Bible. I hope that I was not the cause of too much of your pain. I am sure that this quote, and the grace of God, brought you much peace. Thanks for being my Mom. God bless you. Happy Mothers Day.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

terry said...

Beautiful Jeff, thank you for sharing these very personal parts of yourself..