Saturday, May 2, 2009

truth

Truth does not change. The problem is, sometimes we think that we know the truth when we do not. I think that there are things that we can be confident are true, and other things that we need to be careful about. We humans are not very good about knowing the difference.

Some people like to "know." Their entire self esteem is built upon knowing. Boy are they in for a surprise when they finally meet God and realize that they did not know as much as they thought they did.

We have had people quit the church because they discovered new "truth." Some Christians use the scripture in ways that hurt and wound others. In such cases, the message of the truth is so clouded in hatred and judgement, that the truth of the love of God goes right out the window.

Bob Tuttle, one of my professors in seminary used to say, "if God is a circle and you believe that he is a square, he does not become a square to accommodate your way of thinking." This is a very good point that reminds me that we do not know it all and we are not as smart as we think.

There is a difference between the truth, and what we think the truth is. That is why we need to walk in this life with very humble hearts. As my mother like to say, "there is more Horatio, than is dreamt of in your philosophy."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that we can only know the truth about the things that make us feel good, and not what God commands us not to do?

I can understand why you don't want people to fear God, but don't they also need to know what God demands we not do?

Surely truth must address both the "feel good" things and the things that displease God.

Josh S. said...

Jeff, I remember thinking a lot about this comment back when it was posted, but I didn't really have anything to contribute. I was reminded of it yesterday when Tricia asked me if I was the one that originally posted it since it was "anonymous". She said it was because of the good grammar, but it's also because I have made similar legalistic comments in the past (although not as recent as May, hopefully). It was listening to you that finally broke through and helped me see a Jesus much larger than any rules and guidelines I can muster.

So being so recently removed from this way of thinking, I guess it's hard to figure out what to say in response. I mean, there's nothing in the comment that is easy to argue with. Truth can be difficult to hear sometimes. But the question in my mind is this -- as Christians, is it more important for us to be dispensers of truth claims or dispensers of grace?

Truth claims aren't very attractive to people. Grace is irresistible. Maybe if we lead with grace, the truth will take care of itself.

I realize that the Bible is full of theological concepts and doctrines. And I believe these are good medicine for the building of Christian maturity. But like any medicine, they can be harmful when used in the wrong ways.

So I ask myself WWJD, I guess... And then I visualize the most important moment in human history. Jesus is hanging from a cross. We put him there. I put him there. In agony I will never comprehend, he opens his mouth to speak. What is he going to say? Will He preach a long sermon full of Biblical exegesis? Will He reveal countless theological and doctrinal truths? No -- He just asks His Father to forgive us because we don't understand our own actions.

At the pivotal moment in the life of Christ and all of the world, Jesus just wanted to dispense grace. The result is that a thief's heart was changed forever. Surely this thief had little or no understanding of correct Biblical doctrine. So did Jesus spend the final moments of both of their lives making sure he was brought up to speed on "the truth"? No. He just welcomed him into Paradise.

Maybe the "truth" helps Christians to live a better life. I know it has for me. But Grace changed my heart forever, and made me open to hearing the truth. And if I had died before ever growing in truth, it is Grace that would have saved me. So I am glad I found someone who could show me Grace first, and I hope that is the kind of Christian I am becoming.

The whole world seems to be competing over who knows the most truth, but not many people are competing over who can dispense the most grace. I think Christians have a better chance of winning people for Jesus if we try something different -- something unexpected.