Monday, May 25, 2009

memorial day

Today, the Lord willing, we will do what we do every year on Memorial Day. You probably know what we do because I write about it every year on Memorial Day.

When Cathy is ready, we will get in the car and load up any kids that want to go with us. The older they get, the less that they want to go. I don't blame them, I didn't want to go to the cemetery with my parents when I was young either.

Anyway, we load up and drive I-70 to Sterling. North on Sterling to Winner Road. Left on Winner, through the beautiful Englewood district. Turn left on Truman road. Up the hill, past the monument company, turning right into Mt. Washington Cemetery. I have gone there every year on Memorial Day since I can remember [except when we lived out of town.] My parents took me there as a boy and told me the stories of the people buried there.

Into Mt. Washington, take the first left, wind up the hill, keep left, then near the top, turn right. The road deadends in the Rosehill Gardens section. At the end of the cul-de-sac is the Toll plot. My Grandmother on my Dad's side was Mary Lee Toll until she married my Grandpa Brinkman. My two sisters and my 4 cousins and I are the remaining heirs to this burial site. There are about 8 grave sites left there, more if people choose to be cremated.

When we get there, will look around and remember. Remember being a boy. Remember my Mom and Dad. I will tell them about Scott graduating from High School. I will tell them everything is ok. But, they already know that. I will tell them that I love them and miss them. We will linger for a while, then drive the long way through the cemetery, past some of the more notable chapels and tombs. We will emerge on the north side on what I guess is 24 highway, but I am not sure. Come to think of it, I am not sure of the name of the road. All I know is that there is a Dairy Queen right there.

Cemetery. Dairy Queen. Home. I hope when my kids take their children to the cemetery to visit me, they will stop at the Dairy Queen when they are done. It's a tradition.

All in all, Memorial Day is a time to be thankful for life. O dear Lord, we are so blessed. Thank you so very much for all of the wonder and glory and joy of life. And you, dear friends, thank you for the privilege of sharing this life with you. I am grateful for every single one of you.
It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I can totally relate to your story about cemeteries, Mt. Washington in particular. Chuck and I attended Van Horn High School in the mid/late 60s. Our driver's education class always included a drive through Mt. Washington & "dead man's" curve. I just loved that cemetery. About 5 years ago, I was driving down 24 Hwy. (Independence Ave.) and I just turned in and asked about remaining space--I wanted to be in the old part under the trees. I was told there weren't many left, but they had a spot I just fell in love with. I came home and told Chuck about it, I took him out there to see it and we purchased it that day. We also bought a bench--I had to have a bench. Yesterday, my daughter and I sat on it and talked to Chuck and cried and laughed and enjoyed the shade, the birds, and the squirrels. My grandfather is also there, a couple of aunts and uncles, a few friends and one day, my dad and step-mother. We left Mt. Washington and drove to Floral Hills and today it's off to Kearney cemetery to visit Grandma & Grandpa. And maybe a stop at Clem's Cafe for a piece of homemade pie. Memorial Day is a good thing.