Wednesday, May 6, 2009

stalker

I had a stalker yesterday. Or was it road rage. I was driving home from Arkansas and the cruise in the car was set on 72. The speed limit was 70. My kids will tell you that I drive like a grandpa.

I come upon a little silver Saturn sedan. I pass by and keep going. Pretty soon, it is trying to catch up to me. It pulls along side, right next to me.........strange. All this happens as the road is condensing from 3 lanes to 2. Now he has cut me off, I have to hit the brakes and pull behind him.

He slows down.
I am annoyed.
We are out in the middle of nowhere. 71 highway near Noel, MO.
It is the perfect setting for a "crazy hillbilly" movie.

I decide to get back up to speed and get away from him. He tries to speed up. Finally I get some distance and get a few vehicles between us.

Now a few minutes later, he is catching up again. He pulls right along side and comes to my speed exactly. There is a truck behind me. I have no where to go. I hope this dude does not have a gun.
He obviously wants me to look over at him. I wonder what I will see when i look over to the left? A skeleton face? Michael Myers? Scream?

I have a mean face on when I look over.

Oh. It is not a scary person, it is Shawn [this is not his real last name exactly, but no one knows how to say it accurately] Francensengenses, the pastor at Jane, MO. We are buddies. or at least we used to be. He has about scared an old guy to death.

I call him. We talk and laugh. I thought he was a stalker, he was only trying to get my attention. We stop in Joplin for a cup of coffee. What a fine young man.

So, the moral of the story is this. The next time someone is driving erratically, don't assume it is a stalker or a crazy person. It may be some Methodist preacher that you know that just wants to have a cup of coffee.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:) Lesson learned!