Tuesday, May 26, 2009

what do you pray for?

Usually, we humans ask for all kinds of things. God bless me, God bless my family, God bless my friends.

I recently read this in Colossians 4:
2Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.

Paul is asking his readers to pray that God will open the doors so that they can tell others about Jesus Christ.

We can do this too. We can pray for our church, that many will be connected to Jesus Christ. We can also pray for ourselves, that God will show us the times and the places, and the people to share His love with. I am just thinking that if we are praying for an opening, it will be more on our mind, and each of us will share God's grace a little more often.

Pray that God will give you one person today to reach with His message of love.

I have this little message from the Sound of Music hanging on my office door:

A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
and love in your heart
Wasn't put there to stay -
Love isn't love'
Til you give it away.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

prayer has been on my mind the last few weeks. I'm part of a 'prayer group' email
distribution at work, and it's been making me think, really how to use prayer in a way that's
pleasing to God.
So many requests come through everyday, and i wonder about it. Sometimes i feel like
we just throw things out there, ask everyone to pray, and think that if we get more people to ask the same thing, we get a better
answer. If we have the holy spirit living in us, and Christ is our intercessor and advocate with the Father,
he says if we ask in his name he will hear us. Do we limit God, by asking others to pray, does that
demonstrate a lack of faith on our part? is our prayer not good enough, does it take more people
asking the same thing? I was thinking of Christ in the garden, he asked his disciples to pray, but
not for him, he asked them to pray that they would not fall into temptation.... just rambling thoughts

I have also wondered a lot about the Holy Spirit. In the new testament, there were several examples
where people had accepted Christ, but had not recieved the Holy Spirit, sometimes it hands were
laid on people. Why did it take that for someone to recieve the spirit? we don't do that today.
I think the Holy Spirit as the third person of the trinity is so frequently missed in our studys, in our church
in our prayers.