Sunday, May 3, 2009

honest question

Honest questions deserve honest answers. Someone posted a comment on yesterday's blog that asks a question. And if the person who made the post would like to, I would be more than glad to visit more in person. Just call me. :-)

Here is their post: "Why is it that we can only know the truth about the things that make us feel good, and not what God commands us not to do? I can understand why you don't want people to fear God, but don't they also need to know what God demands we not do? Surely truth must address both the "feel good" things and the things that displease God."

I want to reply to this, one sentence at a time.

"Why is it that we can only know the truth about the things that make us feel good, and not what God commands us not to do?

Well I did not mean to imply that, if I did, at anytime, anywhere. Truth speaks to everything and we can know what is right and wrong. We need to be diligent in our pursuit of God. That includes our behavior. However, the Bible is clear that we are just not supposed to beat each other up with lists of rules.

I can understand why you don't want people to fear God,

Well, of course I don't want people to fear God. There are other churches that are doing enough of that. I prefer to welcome those who have been crushed by the load that others have placed upon them. I think that is what Jesus did, so we are in good company there.

but don't they also need to know what God demands we not do?

There certainly are Biblical pictures of God demanding things. There are many more however, of God granting or Jesus giving, grace. Grace is the core of the Christian message. Once a relationship with God is established through Jesus, the Holy Spirit will lead the Christian into the changes that God desires for him or her.

Surely truth must address both the "feel good" things and the things that displease God."

I am not really about helping people "feel good." I want them to know and experience a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. This comes only by grace. Once I understand that, I do feel good. Feeling good is a byproduct of God's love and grace. Displeasing God? Again there are scriptures that indicate this, but there are so many more that point us to grace. The main theme of the Bible is not that we displease God and should straighten up. The main theme is about grace. God so loved the world. My children don't always make me happy, but my displeasure with their behavior is never greater than my love for them. Not even close.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff - the last two sentences are a perfect analogy. If we have kids, that analogy helps us understand that God loves us even more that we love our own children. There are some parents, however, that don't love their children like that . . . it is a conditional love. I know someone like that, and it's hard to understand and accept but it is truth. Maybe the person who posted the comment yesterday cannot relate because they don't have children or don't know the unconditinal love for their kids.

In the Fireproof Your Marriage class today, we learned that we are supposed to love our spouses like God loves us . . . I had never thought of that!

Thanks for writing every day.

terry said...

I think the Holy Spirit brings us truth. I think if you are truly seeking the Lord with your heart and soul and want to please him, you will. God looks at our heart. It's all about balance. The balance of finding grace in our mistakes, yet continuing forward without making the same ones.. and without beating ourselves up for them either... Where there is grace there is restoration..

Dave Templeman said...

I think the core of the question is why doesn't Jeff preach more about sin and the consequences of our sin. And I think Jeff was very eloquent in his response, and he's right - there's enough churches out there preaching hell fire and damnation.

I don't have much to add other than this - our mission is to connect people to Jesus Christ. Christ's message was one of love, grace and fogiveness.

As Paul wrote, all have fallen short of the glory of God. Why belabor that point? You're not going to win people to Christ by reminding them of their sins. And your certainly not going to win them to Christ by beating them up and making them feel guilty about their sins.

The more I get to know God the more I understand how big His love for me is. How important it was for Him to send His Son for me. And you.

Everytime I open the Bible I'm reminded how short of God's glory I fall. I don't need to be reminded when I'm worshiping. Worship is a time to rejoice in the love and grace God gives us. Worship is a time to energize us to go out and win people to Christ. Now THAT feels good.

DT

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Wouldn't that be better than "half truth"? Since God gave us both the good and the bad in His Word,don't Christians have the responsibility to know and obey both?