Wednesday, September 16, 2009

being there

The other day a friend called me on his way out of town. You know how you can just tell when things aren’t going just right with someone.... Anyway there were a few things he needed to let me know and a few things that he asked if I could do for him. He apologized for asking and then thanked me several times during our talk for my willingness to help out. Now the things he was asking for were no big deal for me to handle, but I could tell that for him it was a tremendous relief to dump this load.

So we continued small talk and he mentions what this trip has in store for him. Important stuff…..out of his comfort zone stuff….pressure... pressure... pressure. I now felt and understood the tension I was sensing from him…..a little anxiety….nerves…..and I knew that I was there not just to help lighten his load but more so to……carry his burden. Our conversation ended with him asking me if I would keep him in my prayers…..I have and will continue doing so until I hear back from him.

The cool yet selfish thing about all of this is that I feel of use and value and all because someone had a need for support…..for an ally….a friend and confidant. The lesson I need to remind myself is that I shouldn’t wait for these things to fall on my lap…..I…..we…..should seek those opportunities…..not tomorrow, but today and then again and again.......

Galatians 6:2
2Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Peace,
Lion’s Den Man

No comments: