Wednesday, September 23, 2009

glasses, pt. deux

Our invisible life paradigms. They are each governed by rules.

If one of my life paradigms is "I want all the money" then we tend to do whatever it takes to get money. We may even hurt others and excuse it because our overriding life rule is "I want all the money."

If one of my life paradigms is that "my church has the correct doctrine" then some of the accompanying rules might be:
  • everyone else is going to hell
  • other churches are bad
  • I am better than you
We all have paradigms and their accompanying rules.

Here are some possible paradigms for you and me:
I am a Democrat.
I am a Republican.
My kid is never wrong.
I am going to spend my money however I want.
I love Ford cars.
Love your neighbor.
Flowers are a blessing.
I hate cats.
I like the president.
I don't like the president.
I can drive as fast as I want to.

All examples of possible life paradigms.

Did you notice the little one in the middle? Love your neighbor? As Christians, this not only should be one of our paradigms, it should be the main one. One of the core principles. Love God, love your neighbor.

this paradigm of love should enter everything else. It should color all of the rest of our paradigms:
I am a democrat, but I love everyone.
I am a republican but I love everyone.
I hate cats, but by God's grace I am working to be tolerant of them. I love cat owners.
I will drive in a manner that shows that I love people.

I am constantly amazed at Christians who have life paradigms that leave out love. Embracing doctrine that crushes others, some have forgotten the most important thing. Love. LOVE! L-O-V-E. If we cannot love our brother whom we have seen, how can we say that we love God whom we have not seen.

All of our discussions should be salted with Love. We can disagree with someone without being hateful. Love should always come through the most clear.

What are your life paradigms? Where does love fit in? Put on the love glasses today. Don't be a clanging cymbal. Make the love glasses a permanent part of your vision. God is love. Nothing else matters.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Praise Him, Praise Him, all ye little children. God is love, God is love..." And so should we. Thanks for the reminder, Jeff. So well stated, as usual.