Tuesday, September 1, 2009

pastor's meeting

Yesterday I got up at 4:15am. I made a pot of coffee, showered and got dressed. I left for the airport. I flew to Atlanta and then on to Jacksonville. All of this for a Pastor's conference. This is a meeting for large church pastors. Since I am over 200 lbs, I get the invite.

The meeting sessions are very good. Lots of heartfelt information and discussion time. Lots of authentic people. That makes me happy. Inspirational. The meetings keep me awake all day long. At 10:30pm I am back at the room and ready for bed. I decide that I better take a walk on the beach before I go to bed. It would be a shame to be this close to the beach and not walk on it.

The sand is white. The beach is long. Really long. As near as I can tell, it stretches for miles in both directions. It is a long way to the water. It's a very deep beach. I get about half way to the water and I realize that it is very dark out here. I keep walking. The tide is going out. Way out. I keep walking.

At the edge of the water, I can barely see the ocean beyond the waves. It is all very mysterious. It is dark out here. I am feeling fear. I am the only one on the beach. For miles. I watch the waves. I wonder if a big one is coming that will pull me out to sea. No one would know.

I come to realize that I am not alone. God is here. I am in his sanctuary. The green carpet has given way to white sand. The piano is playing the sound of crashing waves. The stained glass has become dark, moonlit clouds.

I pray. God forgive my sins. You know what they are. Please forgive me. Please help me to be a better father and a better pastor. Please heal the wounds that you know are there.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for everything. Thank you for the beauty of the earth and the joy of life. Thank you for family and friends. Thank you for your church, and all who call her home. Amen.

I tarry a while and savor this time alone with God. After a while, I walked back up the beach and found my room. Yesterday is over, today is another day. I am looking forward to the meetings with the other pastors.

May God bless you today. May your sins be forgiven and your joy made full.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

It's amazing how spiritual we get in situations like the one you described. Huge, open expanses that seem to go on forever--being there at the edge of the ocean, looking up at the black sky at night, standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon or walking into the desert as Jesus did so many times in the Bible. Emptiness, yet so full of the presence of God. I love that feeling.

Anonymous said...

Psa 68:24 They have seen thy goings, O God; even the goings of my God, my King, in the sanctuary.
i love that word, sanctuary... something to think on.