Tuesday, September 15, 2009

on seeing the good

Yesterday, we experienced a boat sinking squall. Fortunately, we were only sitting by the pool. The employees came by and warned us that a storm was coming. We didn't care, we wanted to see it.

It started to rain. It rained harder. The wind started to blow. We didn't have the experience to see it, but the employees could see the squall line coming. They started stacking chairs. We went next door to a covered restaurant.

When the storm cell hit, the rain and wind blew everything. The rain cleared the decks and blew everything out of the covered patios. You could see the rain coming in at a 45degree angle. We were kind of intrigued with the power of the wind and the water. It lasted about 30 minutes.

Besides the storm, it was cloudy and misty all day.

Now, at home, this might have bothered me. But here, it didn't phase me. I still found time to sit in the pool and hot tub, and ride a few waves on the beach. No sun? No problem. I still got to see the beautiful pool area, the beach and the palm trees. I also got to hear the beach. I so enjoyed listening to the beach.

So here is my point. At home, little things seem to more easily steal my joy. But here, I am so glad to see the beauty of it all, a little rain didn't phase me. I'll bet if I lived here long enough, I would be annoyed by squalls and complain about a day like yesterday. We get so accustomed to our surroundings that we become unaware of the goodness and the glory.

Like the fisherman who has gone out from the same dock every morning for 20 years. He has totally lost the joy and wonder of the beach, the waves, the ocean.

Kansas City is a good place. Where ever you live. It is a good place. There is no place like home. We should not let the squalls that happen at home steal our joy and appreciation for the good. There is still so much more good than bad. We just have to see it.

The board in the eye story. We are looking at the wrong things because our vision is impeded. As soon as we take the board out, we can see that life is good, even in the mid-west. Especially in the mid-west. Life is good and God is great. Don't let the rain today dampen your spirits. There is so much good. See it. Hear it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Okay, I am sitting here "freaking out" with tears in my eyes because once again your blog is...I can't even find the words to express it.

Yesterday I was having a conversation with my nephew about his mom (my sister) and how she gets so concerned over the weather sometimes. I told him about an experience that her and I had on the beach in Florida in July. We saw a storm coming in and she got so upset and wanted to leave the beach, but I talked her into staying there. We took down the umbrella and secured some items and waited for the storm. What could happen? We'd get wet--we were already wet. It was awesome. We were pelted by what felt like hail--big, cold, hard, rain drops. We got in the water and jumped the big waves. It was fun--we were fine.

Now, "the rest of the story"--I was doing my Bible study lesson this morning and waiting for your blog. One of the scriptures to read was Matthew 7:3-5--the timber in the eye story. I finished my lesson and checked to see if your blog was up yet. Now you can understand why your blog freaked me out.

I "pity the fool" that tries to convince me that you're not in my life for a good reason. It's kind of spooky sometimes, but in a good way.
; )

Be safe!

mhaskamp said...

I'm glad that you weathered the storm today. I can imagine that finding the joy might be a liiiiiittle bit easier when you're staring up at palm trees with your toes in the warm sand. :-)