Thursday, September 24, 2009

still more on glasses

Well, I keep thinking about this.

Let me remember that many people are not even aware that they are wearing glasses [have a particular life paradigm]. Or worse yet are those who think that they have the Jesus paradigm and do not see how they are controlling and limiting God.

Some practice selective behavior. They are only a Chief's fan on Sunday. They only act married at home. The rest of the week they flirt with whomever they want. Some take off their main set of glasses and put on the Christian glasses from time to time.

My normal glasses on. Normal off, Christian on. Christian off, normal back on. As if being a Christian was simply a state of mind that you could jump into from time to time, they have compartmentalized their faith at the very time when their faith wanted to speak to their paradigm.

If the core piece of the Christian paradigm is loving God and others, then I don't just go to the Chief's game. I go to the Chief's game and find a moment to thank God for the excitement of athletic events. I go to the Chief's game and treat others with respect and love.

If the core piece of the Christian paradigm is loving God and others, I don't simply have my morning prayer and or devotional and then go to work. As if the Christian glasses come off when I say "Amen." Instead, I drive to work with love and compassion. I pray for those who cut me off in traffic. Each person at the office or on the job are God's children whom He loves deeply. They are in my sphere of influence and I have a chance to touch them with God's love. The Christian glasses don't go "on and off" the Christian paradigm speaks to our glasses. Reforms them. Shapes them. Cleans them.

We see the most clearly when we allow the Holy Spirit to clean our glasses.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

This final entry kind of cleared things up for me. I even had to look up the word paradigm on day one.

I get it now. And I have definitely been guilty of taking off my "Christian glasses" and replacing them with the normal ones.

I will definitely work on this, although, I really prefer my contacts--my Christian contacts, of course. ; )

H4EO said...

I like the part about how we try to control God according to our meager understanding and truely limit God's ability to satisfy our needs.

May you be blessed for reminding us of the core of our existance. If the beattitudes are to be our attitudes, they guide us toward loving God and loveing others.

I also like the way the "glasses" make it our choice as to how we view the world.

Thanks