Tuesday, September 22, 2009

my glasses

Through my glasses I see the world. If I am not aware of the color of my glasses, I think that all of the world has a tinge of pink or green or whatever color my glasses are. Actually, that is not true. What happens is that we get so used to looking at the world through our glasses that we don't even realize that our glasses are tinted. Some people don't even think that they are wearing glasses.

My glasses are male. They are white. They are 52 years old. My glasses are a father. They are an adult orphan. My glasses react to the things in life that hurt me. My glasses are trying to follow Jesus in spite of the glasses.

How would I see the world if I took my glasses off? Would I be so dogmatic? More trusting of others? More understanding? If I understood that others were wearing glasses too, would I be more forgiving of them? Would my absolutes be a little more flexible? Would I realize that I don't have all the truth?

To the degree that we evaluate God only through our glasses, we are limiting the timeless God. Are we trusting our glasses instead of trusting in God? What mystery opens up to me when I seek to know him in ways that exist beyond my own paradigms?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Josh S. said...

I read this quote today I wanted to share with you. I think it's pertinent to your post today. It's from Shane Claiborne's book Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers.

"One thing we are proud of is that we have communities where people do not see the same on every issue, and yet we are able to live together, work through that and learn from each other. One of the greatest witnesses of the church can be our ability to disagree well. The world has not seen many folks who can do that."

I am sure I disagree with every person in the church on at least one point. We like to say "but oh, these are nonessential points" so that we can still live in harmony. But maybe I disagree with others on points that are essential for me or that person. When our faith is simply about beliefs, this becomes a major issue. We must divide. We must split. We must form new churches where everyone agrees on the essential issues. If we don't do that, we must gossip about each other's poor theologies.

But when our faith is about action, maybe then we can learn to disagree well. You believe in Baptism through immersion only? Okay, I can live with that. Let's go feed the poor. You think we should have an altar call? I'm sure you have good reason for that, but let's go visit a sick person.

Will we ever disagree that it is good to feed the poor and visit the sick? Surely not.

I liked your post today, Jeff. Maybe we just need to take off the glasses and put on our work gloves.

Anonymous said...

"To the degree that we evaluate God only through our glasses, we are limiting the timeless God. Are we trusting our glasses instead of trusting in God? What mystery opens up to me when I seek to know him in ways that exist beyond my own paradigms?"

Very nicely put and an excellent meditation.

H4EO said...

I like your thinking the last three days. It is good to have you listening for us again. We could make a month of productive discussions with these thoughts. Thanks for being part of our journey.

PS: "So you think you can tell" - very nice