Sunday, September 6, 2009

I cannot find God

I cannot find God, even though He is right here with me. This is a common problem that we humans have. He is here, and I know it, but I can't see Him. I can't feel Him. I am not aware of Him.

The problem is me. God doesn't change. When I am stuck on some human problem, my heart and mind get stuck there and I just can't see the eternal. Self gets in the way. Again. Rotten old self sure does spoil a lot of life's moments of spiritual glory.

When I can get my self out of the way, then love appears. God appears. When the ugly of me gets off of the radar screen, then the goodness of God is there. Try it. Pray for your selfishness to go away. Just for a moment, pray that you would be able to stop thinking about and worrying about your stuff.

I don't know about you, but when I pray that prayer, I start to laugh at myself, how easily I am drawn into focusing on my own stuff. When I pray that prayer, selfishness does start to take a backseat for a moment at least, and I can see God peeking around the corner.

He is always with us. We can see him a lot better when we don't have the board of self stuck in our eye.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank You, Pastor Jeff!