Saturday, September 19, 2009

a story to share

Last night my wife and I went out to dinner with some friends. We saw the sun set as we sat in the restaurant...we told some stories...had some laughs....ate to much....came home tired and exhausted from the week. Locked up the house, I brushed my teeth and headed to bed. Safe...secure....comfort.... comfortable. I rose this morning and my routine started once again.......stretch, yawn, bathroom, coffee...let the dog out....simple things I take for granted.

Last week I was invited to come hear a man tell a story about his life 60 years ago. He was ten years old in 1939...a Jew, living in Warsaw Poland when the Germans invaded. Not long after and in fear of their lives, his family sought out a Christian family for protection. A hole was dug out underneath a barn. Not even 6' in depth or width and roughly 24' long, he and 10 others spent 20 months of their lives living in this hole made of dirt and straw. Lice...bed bugs....no change of clothes...no baths...a bowl of soup and piece of bread per day...a frantic dash to the out-house was the only daylight they would see each and every day.

I've known this man for 29 years.....I've heard his story from others...but never from him until last week.....he is a survivor. He made great use of his life after those days past. He is one of those people that seize the day each and every day. He smiles...he is not bitter....his is thankful and gives thanks to God for his life by making the best of it no matter what.......

Peace,
Lion's Den Man

No comments: