Monday, March 29, 2010

FYI

In the Saturday FYI section of the Kansas City Star there were a bunch of ads for churches. They all say the same thing. Hey, its Holy Week, come to our church. We did not have an ad in the Star. I guess we feel like it is too expensive for the return.

What we did end up with was a big splash on the front page of the section. A big article about the prom dress ministry. The article was awesome, and for that matter so is the ministry. Over 800 girls were helped over the weekend!

So, here is my point. I would rather have activity than advertisements. Your ministry is your best advertisement. If there is something going on in your church, you don't need to advertise. Your people will be excited, and they will tell their friends. There is an old saying, "those who say, don't know. Those who know, don't have to say."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

My experience only: When I moved to KC 9 years ago and started looking for a church the 1st place I looked was the KC Star and the religion section. That was the easiest place for me to identify a church that was in the denomination and location I wanted as well as the worship times.

I don't know what the cost or return is. That is up to others but if you reach one person it is worth considering.

GB

Anonymous said...

I loved the spread on prom dresses. My parents (who go to another Methodist church in Lee's Summit) commented on how awesome a project it is and how they had no idea that we did "that sort of thing". I told them it was only the beginning and I gave them the Connections brochure from the Sunday bulletin. :) You can't buy that kind of PR. I came to WCC on it's reputation. That said, I agree that if you are new to town and don't have connections already, the first step is often checking out the paper.