Friday, March 12, 2010

Hold the tongue.

Sometimes you just have to hold your tongue. I want to offer some advice to a friend. I want to steer a staff person. I want to make a comment to a church member. I want to say something to one of my children.

Something inside of me tells me that I should keep quiet, even though I want to make the statement. I have learned as I grow old that keeping my mouth shut is sometimes a very good thing to do.

Let it go. Let them go. See what they do. They are not ready to hear from you. You are, I am only going to make it worse. Silence is golden. It is not that big of a deal. I don't have to comment on everything.

Now that I am released from fixing everything, I can see the good of this day for what it is. Let them go. Relax. God is with them.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make a great point, albeit very hard to do. It's amazing that most of the advice we give others is unsolicited advice.

Sharon said...

Okay, let's see if I've got this straight--you're talking about saying something to someone about an issue or problem right? You're not directing your message to someone that might not be able to control their urge to make senseless comments on someone's blog.

Either way I, for one, know how hard this is to do. There have been times when my tongue has throbbed from the pain of the bite as I try to stop myself from saying things I know I shouldn't. And my fingers ache from the weight of my body as I try to sit on them and keep them from pounding away at the keyboard.
E-mails can be a great way to communicate with someone or the absolute worst way. I learned that the hard way a few years ago.

Of the 9 fruits of the spirit, patience and self control are by far the hardest for me to develop. I'm working on it though.
In fact, those mornings when you don't see a comment from me, you can assume I'm having a successful day. : )

Thank you for the message today--I may have to copy it and use it as the background of my computer screen as a daily reminder.