Thursday, March 25, 2010

who knows

"Who knows what tomorrow brings? In a world that few hearts survive." Joe Cocker

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." James 4:13-15

I am guilty. I have rolled out of bed, day after day, expecting to have 24 hours at my disposal. But sometimes, God surprises you. Something happens that reminds you that you are mortal and you are not in control.

We should be thankful for every moment. Every day. If you have been on auto-pilot, stop. Give thanks. Appreciate the gift of this day. And be thankful for every person who gives you a shoulder to lean on, a hand along the way or a pick me up when you are down.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm Ba-ack! ; )

I'm so glad that you began your blog with the line from the Joe Cocker hit, "Up Where We Belong". I Googled it because I had not heard it in years. What a great song. Thank you--I will be downloading it to my iPod later this morning.

Your blog reminded me of something that I noticed while I was in New Orleans last week--the people down there start each prayer with the words, "Thank you Lord God for waking me up this morning". How awesome is that? When you've lost someone suddenly that you thought you had the rest of your life to enjoy, you realize how fragile the gift of life is. I never want to take another day or another person on this earth for granted. They are gifts we should cherish and thank God for every day.

Another common phrase I heard EVERY day in New Orleans was, "God is good--all the time". It was truly an amazing experience.

JanR said...

A simple post but a very powerful one.

When I met Roger I decided that he was my "reward" for some things I'd endured previously. Fifteen months later, in good health and running a 5K race, he died of a heart attack.

"Appreciate the gift of this day"

I don't 'plan' my life anymore. But I do thank God every day for his blessings for the people who lift me up in friendship, support, generosity and love.