Thursday, March 11, 2010

sisters

I have two sisters. When we were growing up, we never really did anything together. We some how grew up in the same house but never knew each other. It is hard to figure. People that are bound by blood, that you would think could be life long friends, aren't really connected. 17 years together in the same house and you aren't even connected. Thankfully, this has changed in our adulthood. We have worked hard on catching up, and I am very pleased to have had the chance to get to know them.

Flash forward to the next generation. A boy and two girls grow up in the same house. My house, our house, this house. I have always hoped and prayed that my children would have a different experience than I did, and that they would be connected and care for each other. I have told them their whole life that this brother or sister will always be your brother or sister. "Never leave your wing man." Cathy and I have tried to teach them to care for one another and to be invested in each other's lives.

Yesterday was Scott's 19th birthday. Last night his college friends in Pittsburg KS threw a party for him. Yesterday afternoon, Alli and Jenny packed their bags and put on their party clothes. They drove the two hours down to Pittsburg to be there for Scott. Scott was so excited that his sisters would make the effort. The sisters were glad to do it. Their Dad was never so proud.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

That's so cool. : )

Unknown said...

what a sweet story - thanks for sharing! I always think about what the boys will be like when they grow up and how close they will be.

I know I don't comment much but read the blog every day. Thanks for giving me something to think about!

Kara

Anonymous said...

Good job Jeff and Cathy.

chigger farmer said...

That is so neat. . . . it looks like your parenting efforts are paying off! It's also hard to believe that your youngest is 19 already.