Saturday, March 20, 2010

Speaking of Dreams...

Last night, or sometime early this morning, I dreamed that Jeff did not like my recent posts and deleted them. I did not eat any pizza yesterday.

(If you don’t know what I’m talking about, see the post on Monday, March 15.)

I have been dreaming a variation of this dream for years. Someone is not happy with my work. I am not good enough.

So when I wake up, I work harder. I do more. I say yes to everything anybody asks me to do, with little regard for my own emotional energy, whether I am gifted in that area, my family, or my social life. This cannot be good. I follow a God that freed the Israelites from slavery. In the wilderness, he instituted the Sabbath -- a day of total rest and relaxation. Because a bunch of slaves need to be told to rest. All they know is a life based on output, based on production, based on what they have accomplished.

If they stop working, they’re not sure if they’re worth anything anymore.

And God says, “You have always been worth everything.”

Jesus says, “Here, I’ll prove it.”

So my value comes from the fact that God created me – absolutely on purpose. My value comes from the fact that he would die for me, even though I have completely messed it up and missed the whole point. In Christ, there is a new life. This life is not based on “what have you done for me lately?” but on what Jesus did for you lovingly.

Now, I might create something I don’t love, but I won’t die for it. I would only die for something that I love – something that has value. This is one of the beautiful things about the willing sacrifice of Christ. God has come into the world to prove his love and prove our worth. He never had to do it, but he so wanted to.

My prayer for myself, and my prayer for you is this. May you go to sleep tonight knowing how much you are worth. May you lie down in green pastures. May he lead you beside quiet waters. Even though you are walking through the valley of the shadow of death and slavery, God is with you. God will comfort you. Surely, goodness and love will follow you all the days of your life, and you will live with in the comfort of God forever.

As Phillip Yancey says, “Nothing can make God love you more, and nothing can make God love you less.”

Grace Alone, right?

Go in Peace.

With love,

a young shepherd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phillip Yancey is one of my favorite authors.

This is actually a phrase I use with my daughter. Who at 17 has thought at times that she has somehow failed me. I tell her that is impossible because nothing could make me love her more and nothing could make me love her less. We all feel that we have let others down with either our behaviour or actions, but that never takes away the love you have for them.

Tonia