Saturday, May 4, 2013

a man's greatest fear

I don't know if this is true or not, it probably cannot be applied universally to all men.  I also have no idea if women feel this way or not.  But I have this fear or this insecurity sometimes and I talk to so many others that have a similar feeling.  It goes like this.......just yesterday I was a boy...playing.....protected by my parents.....very few expectations.....now I wake up and I have a family and I am working and there is so much to be responsible for.  What happened?  Can I go back and be a little boy again?

What do you do with that?  I don't know.  It is a pain to bear when you feel it.  You have to keep going, you have to get up and go to work, no matter how you feel.  Thankfully it isn't something that I feel everyday.  Some days confident, some days not.  Some days innately joyful, some days not, but all days are good, very good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Among our church family, I hear fairly frequent conversations about what a load you have. A typical Sunday includes four sermons, four rounds of shaking hands with several hundred people, then off to do a baptism, then off to counsel wedding couples, then off to a meeting, then back in the evening after choosing from a list of four or five activities.

Many people are left to wonder how you keep up with this, which all comes from your love and compassion for your flock and a heavy sense of showing God to those who frequent our services.

All this to say that with the other normal home and family responsibilities this all seems like such a heavy load.

I love Whitney Houston's song, "I Go To The Rock" We all know that Jesus is your rock, but it sounds like when you have these feelings of wishing you could be back in the simpler days again, with protection and shelter, that you are tired mentally and physically. It's no wonder that you have feelings like this, from the load you carry.

And about what women feel? I can't speak for all but I think women sometimes get bored from all the routine. Sometimes if you ask a woman what she's doing tomorrow, she says "the same thing I did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before." When I feel like this, I just try to realize my blessings, be a little less grumpy, and go right on.

You've earned the feelings you describe, so we can only hope you get a little vacation or down time periodically.