Monday, May 20, 2013

a river runs through it

And so I go to church, almost every Sunday of the year.  I want it to feel fresh, but there is also an interesting thing that I am appreciating more and more as I grow older.  That is the feeling of ritual.  Doing the same things over and over.  Saying the Apostle's Creed, singing Grace Alone, praying over the offering, standing for the scripture reading, and on and on we go.

I guess inside of myself, there is this feeling of comfort, of being grounded, of home, when we do some of those things.  I think that that is ok.  When I was young, I wanted to throw out tradition, now I want to hold onto it.  My Dad would laugh to hear me say that.  He would belly laugh.

I hope that there are things at church that just feel good to you.  You can't explain it, but saying the Lord's Prayer, greeting one another in the name of the Lord, and singing Amazing Grace all just feel like good stuff to you. 

I like it.  There is something good about it that makes me feel whole.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.  Even if you are just doing the same things, over and over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff: I am so glad to hear you speak about traditions. As someone at a similar point life's journey, I too value, what may seem to others, minor things.

For example, a highlight of the WCC service for me is when we are asked to stand for the scripture reading following which you close with these words:

"Dear Friends this is the word of the Lord. May God send his Holy Spirit to bless it to our hearts as we gather in his name today. Please be seated."

I hope you won't ever stop doing that. It gives me a chill every time I hear it.

Thank you for your continued ministry, Jeff. Your life is an inspiration to us.