Monday, May 13, 2013

discrimination

Lately I have experienced some discrimination and I have to tell you, I don't like it.  I have experienced a bit of what I would call "elder discrimination."  I have found myself in situations where young people greet one another and love one another and are excited about seeing one another, and when they got to me, they saw an old man.

Now I know that I like to dress down.  On my day off I don't like to shave.  I wear hats and jeans anytime that I can.  My skin is old and I could be a member of AARP if I wanted to be one.  But that does not mean that I am not a person. 

I would like to be welcomed with the same joy, the same excitement, the same happiness that you greet your young friends with.  If they deserve the extra attention, so do I.

There.  I said it.  Now my pity party is over.  And I have to ask myself... do I do the same thing to others?  Are there those who feel like they get more or less attention from me than someone else?  Probably so I would bet.  Let us just take this moment to be mindful of every person, every human being, every soul,  regardless of their age, height, weight, etc.  They are all of them, everyone of them, delightful, valuable, children of God worth loving.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, what you shared needs to be talked about. It is like opening Pandora's box when it comes to our culture in the U.S.

In many of the older cultures around the world, young people do not treat anyone over 30-35 the way many young people regard adults today. Here is my personal list of what has caused this.

1. Working moms who do not have to work, but want more things. As a result kids have many more material things, beginning at a very young age. Thus they end up not appreciating much of anything. Everything is disposable if there's some other new thing they want. Adults are disposable if they don't serve "me."
2. Homes where parents let the kids be the center of attention and the home life revolves around the kids and what they want.
3. Parents who indulge kids and want to be popular with their kids so they themselves will feel younger.
4. Parents who compete with each other over who has the most achieved kid.

All of this means that adults over 30-35 don't serve any purpose to making me the center of attention. And because kids are over indulged today and parents are busy trying to be popular with the kids, common things of the past in America, like respect for adults, courtesy, saying thank you, and valuing all human beings appear to be a thing of the past.

I love young people. We we have some parents at Woods Chapel who get raising kids right. But conversely when you look around today, a lot of kids are rude, ungrateful, and have an in your face attitude about challenging anything an adult says or does.

Sorry, but our country can do better.

Anonymous said...

I havе been eхploring for a bіt for any
hіgh-quality artiсles or blog postѕ
on this kind of area . Εхρloring in Yаhoo ӏ ultіmately ѕtumblеd upon thiѕ site.

Studуing thiѕ infο Ѕο i'm glad to show that I've a very eхcellеnt uncanny feelіng Ι
came upοn exactly what I needеd. Ι ѕuch а lot
without a doubt will mаke certain to dоn?
t omit this website and give it a glаnсe on а
сonstant baѕіs.

my page - acne product

Anonymous said...

Jeff: I know how you feel, I'm 76 and see this type of discrimination all the time, is it our culture? I don't think so, I was discriminated as a young man in the military for being Hispanic, discrimination is a way of life in our world. The fact that we're old just puts us in a category that's easy to pick on.
Walt