Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds is the son of professional baseball player Bobby Bonds. Barry played professional ball for the San Francisco Giants.  He was an all star and holds many records.  He has been denied entrance to the hall of fame because of his use of steroids.  A couple of weeks ago, his number 25 was retired in San Francisco.  No Giant will ever again wear #25.

The night that they retired his number, he gave a speech at ATT park.  He said, "I asked my dad before he died, why he was so hard on me.  Dad replied, I knew that you would keep working hard as long as you were chasing my approval."

How sad.  Sad that a Father would make a son chase his approval. 

Mine did the same thing.  He withheld approval and embrace.  It made for some odd times, especially as a young adult.  One year on Christmas morning we were opening presents, I asked him to borrow his pocket knife.  He said, "when will you ever learn that real men carry a pocket knife???"  I snapped.  I said, "really??? It is Christmas morning.  I am here with my wife and 2 children.  In case you hadn't noticed, I am a man.  Now give me the knife."

He gave me the knife.

This encounter totally changed our relationship, for the better.  He started treating me like a man.  I asked him about this encounter years later.  We agreed that I had been chasing his approval and that he had been waiting for me to stand up and be a man with or without his approval.  Aren't relationships complicated?

I am glad that Barry Bonds, me, you and anyone else already has the approval of our loving heavenly Father.  There is nothing to prove and nothing to earn.  Offer your welcome and approval to everyone, just as you have received it from God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: