Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Don't change

I love you.  Don't change.  I thought of the following story the other day....

"I was a neurotic for years.  I was anxious and depressed and selfish.  Everyone kept telling me to change.  I resented them, and I agreed with them, and I wanted to change, but simply couldn't, no matter how hard I tried.  What hurt the most was that, like the others, my best friend kept insisting that I change.  I felt so powerless and trapped.  Then one day, he said to me, 'Don't change.  I love you just as you are.' 
These words were music to my ears... don't change, don't change, don't change... I love you as you are.  I relaxed, I came alive, and suddenly I changed!
Now I realize that I couldn't really change until I found someone who would love me whether I changed or not.
Is this how you love me God?"
Anthony Demello in The Song of the Bird

Is this how you love me God?  Listen my friends... Listen.... If God loves us conditionally, we are in trouble.  If God loves us only if we are good enough, then we are in serious trouble.  The only way of understanding God's love, the only way of understanding love itself, is unconditionally.  If there are conditions attached, it is not love.

God loves us.  Get over trying to be good enough.  Welcome the embrace.  Then change if you feel so led.  But know that you are loved.  Period.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: