Friday, August 3, 2018

sharing your faith

is this really helpful?
When I was a kid we went out into the world to win people for Jesus.  We went house to house on Wednesday night.  We put the pressure on the poor at the shelters.  We walked up to strangers in Golden Gate park and asked them if they were going to heaven or hell.

I have learned over the years, that those old ideas about evangelism actually did more harm than good.  We drove away the very people that we were trying to win.  Young people today are sick and tired of the high handed methods of yesterday's church.

The other day I was driving down the road through a rough part of town.  I saw an African American man walking with a gas can.  I pulled up alongside him and asked him if I could take him to the gas station.  At first he hedged, then he accepted and got in.  I introduced myself.

I am Jeff.
I am Charles.
Nice to meet you.

It was only a mile to the station.  I told him that I would wait for him and take him back.  He put in $2.50 and we headed home.  When I got to his apartment, I shook his hand and said, God bless you.  Charles began to tell me about an ailment that he was struggling with and he asked me to pray for him.

I did not announce that I was a Christian or a preacher.  I was just nice to another human.  I am not bragging and I don't want or deserve a medal.  My point is this -  If you want to reach people for Jesus, just love them.  Coercive methods are ineffective and immoral.

"Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, elegance or learning."
                                                              Frederick Faber

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: