Saturday, August 25, 2018

On Changing the World

Some months ago I had the occasion to drive through the Woods Chapel property.  As a general rule I never do this because I want to keep my distance and I do not wish to be a problem.  But I drove through in April this year because someone told me that the trees were budding and beautiful.

As I drove across the property I thought, "wow, we did it, we changed the world for the better."

As I think back on years in the ministry I think about the times that seemed to go well.  I had several appointments that I was only there for a short time, and it is hard to feel like you accomplished much. 

Cache, Oklahoma/Indiahoma, Oklahoma.  St. John's in Kansas City.  Lebanon, MO.  I was there for such a short time that I don't know that I made a difference.

Cape Coral.  God bless those wonderful folks, I was reeling from all the changes in my life.  I was there a short time but have made some wonderful friends.  Sometimes I wish I could go back there now and try again...

Two places in particular, I felt like together, we made a difference.  Those would be the Princeton/Mercer charge and Woods Chapel. 

My opportunities in Ft. Pierce have been delightful.  I hope that the members will feel that me being there this year has been a good thing.  Gosh it is almost over... I just have September and October left there.  I better get to work!

Anyway, I think it is human nature to look back and reflect on the value of one's life.  I am certainly happy for many things: 

  • for every person who found grace
  • for every person who finally found a God that was bigger than their devil
  • for every person who entered ministry
  • for every heart turned towards mission
  • for individuals and congregations believing in themselves

There has been so much good over the years.  I have made so many friends.

And as I was thinking about change, I thought of this story:

"I was a revolutionary when I was young and all my prayer to God was ‘Lord, give me the energy to change the world.’ 
"As I approached middle age and realized that half my life was gone without my changing a single soul, I changed my prayer to ‘Lord, give me the grace to change all those who come in contact with me. Just my family and friends, and I shall be satisfied.’ 
"Now that I am an old man and my days are numbered, my one prayer is, ‘Lord, give me the grace to change myself.’ 
If I had prayed for this right from the start I should not have wasted my life." 
                     Anthony Demello - Song of the Bird pg 153

May we all work to make the world a kind, good and gentle place by making ourselves to be more kind, good and gentle.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019


No comments: