Sunday, August 26, 2018

My Dad's Movies

My Dad loved war movies and anything John Wayne.  I can remember taking him to see Saving Private Ryan a few years before his death.  He wept in the theater.  So did I.

The other day I was watching one of his kind of movies, The Devil's Brigade.  The movie was made in 1968 and stars William Holden and Cliff Robertson.  I remember watching it with him as a child.  It was so typical of what he liked.  A little bit of humor, a little bit of boys being boys, and enough war to make things pretty serious.

As I was watching the movie, I laughed on a couple of occasions.  I have come to recognize that I laugh just like he did.  In fact, sometimes, the noises that I make are oddly comforting.  Somehow, he is still here, laughing through me, laughing with me.

I love my dad and I miss him.  I wish I would have had more opportunity to really get to know him.  I am so thankful that our grief, can in time, turn to a savoring.  I am thankful for my dad.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: