Monday, August 13, 2018

Ouch


Lynne Twist in her book The Soul of Money, suggests that "we must rid ourselves of the notion that There’s not enough to go around. . . . Not enough resources in the world. Somebody’s going to be left out. . . . If there’s not enough for everyone, then taking care of yourself and your own, even at others’ expense, seems unfortunate, but unavoidable and somehow valid. . . ."
Americans are worried about not having enough. So they collect more and more and more. When in fact we are the richest society in the history of the world. We Americans spend more on black Friday than it would cost to provide clean water and sanitation [outhouses] for every human in the entire world.

Yet when the Kohls ad comes, we lust for the next shirt or pair of shoes.

Here is the point of this blog.... Let's look at what we have and realize that we already have more than enough. Let's admit that continuing to collect things in an insult to the poor of this world and it is not God's will. Let's consider giving away more of what we have. Would it hurt you to give away $10 today? Probably not. $100? Probably not. $1,000? Maybe not. There are folks in this world that are suffering because we keep more than what we need.

Jesus told this parable in Luke 12...

13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

May we all learn to live our lives in perspective and become just a bit more generous. I would love to hear from some of you about who you gave $10 or $100 or $? to.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: