Sunday, December 2, 2018

It's the self again...

It’s the self again. No, it’s the self still. Kathleen Singh says that “our ceaseless self-reference is our most deeply ingrained habit pattern.”

How is my day going? Did I have to wait in line longer than I wanted to? Why is that person annoying me? Why did I lose money? Why is my hair falling out? Does that person approve of me? Did that driver cut me off?

On and on it goes. I. Me. Mine.

What if for a moment we step out of our selves. Out of our bodies. Forget about us for a moment and just look and see what else is out there in the world. Go ahead, do it. Imagine that you have stepped out of your skin and you are looking at everything from a new perspective. It has nothing to do with me, or you, it just is. I am a completely detached observer.

From this new vantage point I can see people in a new light. Not as people that affect me, but as people. And I can see situations, not as how they affect me, but situations as nonthreatening. And since I can focus on something besides myself, I can see the beauty of the world in a new and wonderful way.

Practice leaving the self. Getting one’s self out of the way is a central teaching of Jesus. Lose yourself to find it.

More to come.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: