Thursday, December 20, 2018

Mentor or Guide

Mentor-Guide

There are parts of life that we just cruise through on autopilot. No problems. Then there are those times where we wake up and realize that we are in uncharted territory. Uncharted Territory.

During such times we are often concerned and fearful. During these times it would be nice to have a mentor, a guide. Someone who has been this way before. Someone who can help us through the dark passage.

Bob Tuttle was a guide for me when I was leaving the fundamentalist world and finding a faith that was normal and relevant. David VanGiesen was a mentor to me when I was trying to find my land legs in ministry. Anthony deMello was a mentor and guide via his books as I searched to grow in soulfulness.

Now I am mostly retired. I am also 61 and 1/2. I am experiencing uncomfortable things. My life is different than it used to be. Sometimes I wish I had a friend that was 15 years older than I am to talk with about this passage.

Recently I ran across a book, The Grace in Aging, by Kathleen Singh. Although I have just started to read the book, I have found it to be quite comforting. If you are in a similar place in your life, you may want to pick up a copy. I bought it used on Dealoz.com

What I have read has helped me in 20 short pages to feel much more at home in my own skin. That is always a good thing.

Whatever you are feeling today, my friend, there are people and resources to help.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: