Friday, December 28, 2018

Persecution

Around the world, in many places, Christians are persecuted.  We don't think of it much because it often goes unreported, or there is no great out cry.

My friend Pat wrote to me about an article that he read on NPR about churches being closed in China:

I read today that the Chinese are closing up Christian churches in China, in great part to minimize foreign influence on their society. I don’t raise this to rail against the Chinese: plenty of other folks can do that. I wondered what our reaction here in America would be if the government decided to close down churches and make participation punishable by death, or incarceration. I get that “freedom of religion” is enshrined in our constitution, but in these Alice in Wonderland days, most anything is conceivable, and if you can think it, it can happen., but that’s not what I wanted to pitch either.

I wonder what our reaction would be to not having a church anymore. Would we meet at someone’s house? ? Would we be willing to risk incarceration, physical injury, or death, just to meet and worship? Or would it just become a breakfast club where folks talk about the weather, sports and grumble about the mayor. After all, we could keep to ourselves and pray without taking risks. Why put everything on the line we’ve worked for, our families, our well being, our success, just to meet about God. God knows I’m thinking of him. Isn’t that all that counts? Isn’t that enough? Isn’t it? I mean what price should I have to pay just for my religion? How much is too much?

If you recognize that religion is more that just your thoughts and dedication, you know the answer. You know the price Christ paid for you. Our religion is really our deeds, including coming together with others to act out the instructions we received. But ask yourself: if the government banned churches, what would you do? What would it be worth to you to be able to continue to worship. Sit under that for a while and ask yourself how you’re doing with your religion. Pat


If you wish to read the article Click here to read about the churches closing

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: