Thursday, December 13, 2018

Sibling Rivalry

When I was a child I was engaged in sibling rivalry with my sister Amy. Some of my children fought that battle as well. When I was a child I did not understand it. Now I look back and I see that our small, broken, emerging egos were struggling to establish themselves. It wasn’t that our intention was to crush the other person, we would in fact have crushed anything that threatened to squash our egos.

Somewhere along the line, most egos grow up. Hopefully we are no longer threatened by that brother or sister and so we can begin to be kind to them. We think that they grew up and became tolerable, but it was really we who grew up and stopped being threatened by them.

Yet even as adults, our egos, our sense of self worth can be threatened, if we allow it to be.

That person took my table. My football team lost. That person misbehaved. That cop gave me a ticket. That person dented my car. The world is not lining up to suit me, so I am angry.

What if our egos, what if our selves, were just allowed to be ok, whether we got our way or not? Waking up to a life of love is about forgetting what I may want and just seeing that all is well. The world may not have aligned to make me happy, but it is still a wonderful world.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019




No comments: