Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The journey to awakening

When I was young, my Christian journey was about knowing.  Learning more, knowing more, being able to pronounce Mesopotamia.

Over the years I, like many, have seen that our knowledge is limited.  We cling to what we know, or what we think we know.  We insist that our path is the correct one.  Yet it we were honest with ourselves, there is a an ongoing sense that there is more out there.  There is a beckoning towards God that is bigger than my local church, my denomination and Christianity itself.

[Not that I am against Christianity, but lets face it, we have created an organized religion that cannot possibly hold all that Jesus is.  In fact, the moment that we insist on defining him, we have limited him.]

The path to awareness is not about learning more.  It begins with a willingness to let go of, or unlearn some of what we have clung too so vehemently.  As my mother used to tell me, "There is more Horatio than is dreamt of in your philosophy."

What does this mean?  To me it means that God calls us away from doctrine and dogma to love.  Away from the controlling nature of the human mind and towards the freeing reach of the soul.  The concrete thinking of yesterday must give way to the relational life that God invites us towards.

Begin the journey by letting go.  Fall into God.  Sense his life at work in your soul.  Feel the joy.  Pass it on.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl19030419g17768#.Wt84h7lRHcs

Paris-Normandy River Cruise
October 23-31, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/rc19102319x17768#.W3avNFJK3cs


No comments: