Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Are you rich?

Round about 2002 I was invited to be a speaker at a Youth Conference in Moscow.  We stayed at a Union trade training facility.  The 18-24 year olds came from all over Russia.  Everyone had warned me that these kids were very poor, but when I met them, they were all dressed so nicely.  As the week went on, I noticed that they all wore the same clothes every single day.

Anyway, one night after the scheduled activities were over, I was invited to a party in one of the kids rooms.  Seven of us sat in a circle and shared food.  Everyone brought a bit of what they had and we drank soda and ate the snacks.

They were very interested in my life in America.  Are you rich? They asked.  I said, No I am not rich.  Then here came the questions.

Do you own a house? Yes.
How many rooms are in it? 12.
Do you have a garage? Yes.
How many cars does it hold? 3.
How many families live with you? Um... none just me, my wife, three kids, a dog and two cats.
You have a dog? Yes. [they thought it would be amazing to have a pet.]
Do you own a car? Yes.
How many? 5 cars and a motorcycle. [My wife's car, my car, and all three kids were driving $1,000 beater cars.  There were lots of oil slicks in the driveway back then.  But, this question really hurt because by this time I realized that what I took as normal, was amazing to them.]

Do you have a helicopter? No.

Are you rich?
Reader are you rich?
We have so much to be thankful for.
Most of us were born rounding third base...

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

Click here for the cruise brochure

No comments: