Thursday, June 24, 2021

stinkin thinkin

One of my friends used to use the phrase "stinkin thinkin."  That idea sounds like stinkin thinkin to me, he would say.

We think our way of thinking is right, otherwise we would change our ideas wouldn't we?  One of the best ways that we can modify our thinking is to learn what other people think.

In American Christianity, we are all about knowing.  Knowledge.  I know.  I know and you don't, unless you see it like I do.

In other cultures, there is lots of room for not knowing.  For being comfortable with mystery.

Heard recently on the BEMA pod cast... The church and Christians in general would do well to grow more comfortable with not knowing instead of having to try to explain everything.  When we have to figure everything out we end up with crazy explanations of why things are the way they are when in fact it’s OK to recognize that God is God and we are not, and not knowing is OK.

When I have to know everything, my life and my brain are full of stress. Oh My! I have to get it all right.

When I trust in God and agree that I don't have to know everything, I can relax. It is a beautiful thing to be comfortable with not having to know it all.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

Click here for the cruise brochure

No comments: